Thursday, June 12, 2008

Another Tatted Hat

I've got a preview of my newest creation in progress. The tatted hat part two, if you will. Unlike my first one, this hat is not based on any pattern. I'm just making it up as I go along. I started with a Grand Daisy medallion, one of my favorite designs and I'm just increasing slowly around. As soon as I get the circumference right, I'll add a band of grand daisy medallions. Although I'm not certain at this point how that will work out for me. My first hat made it to the front page of etsy and has almost 900 views now, lots of hearts and no bites, but I'm not really surprised. Using the size 10 thread, it took forever to work up so I'm charging a lot. The yarn is working up much faster, so I think this one should be less expensive. I'm using a lovely brick colorway that I got from fearlessfibers and used for one of my mother's day scarfs. If it comes out okay I'll list it the same way I did my scarfs so you can have it made with any yarn you like.

On another note, the thief I previously mentioned is at it again. This time the photo stolen was of one of the lovely brooches that slvrlily made with my tatting and her description was just copied and pasted. That description included my store name, so I'm particularly annoyed now. It is beyond me how someone can think this is okay to do. I'm taking suggestions for revenge plots if you've got any. My strongly worded emails are just being ignored for some reason.

13 comments:

Gina said...

I saw that...and the implication is that you two are collaborating. I think you've got some real ammunition to take it further. Hope you kept copies of your emails.

:-) Gina

TotusMel said...

The person collaborating with me actually owns that image and actually wrote the description that was copied and pasted. She's been informed too and isn't happy either.

hy said...

your new hot looks like its going to be stunning! i love that color!
about the other thing..
grrrr.... whats with people?
xo
mary jane

Diana said...

Lovely, lovely hat. I can tell it's going to be fabulous. Of course, that's not going out on a limb; all of your creations hit it out of the park.

I think it's absolutely dastardly what this person is trying to do. Can you post a link to where this is going on? I would suggest contacting their server admin regarding infringement of copyright issues. They should be made to cease and desist. Otherwise, I'd consult with a lawyer to issue a formal cease and desist letter. This shouldn't be too expensive, and they can be made to pay for it with a small suit. You can also blog about it with all the details and your cutting way, then post it on Etsy forums with a dramatic headline. You have all the write formulas for garnering tons of attention and soldiers of action on your side.

xox

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy looking at your tatted stuff. I know I've hearted you on etsy.

I think I need to bookmark you too so I'll remember to come look now and then. :-)

TotusMel said...

Here's the offending site if anyone wants to take a look at the gall of this person:
http://timelesstattingpatterns.com/gallery/

Waterrose said...

Lovely idea for the hat. Can't wait to see it finished.

That's too bad about the photo and copy. There's a thread going on over on Etsy about a blogger getting a letter asking that another etysier take her pictures down and the blogger doesn't understand why anyone would be offended. I just don't understand why people just don't communicate when they want to post something on their blog...or wherever.

Waterrose said...

OH wow...how blatent.

Anonymous said...

what the hell! some people are truly amazing. a cease and desist letter might be in order. her using someone else's photo and work is so uncool.

btw, I love your hats. makes me wish I had less hair so I coudl wear one!

Unknown said...

I saw that link with the implication that you and she worked on something....what's that about? Who is this person? I hope they can be stopped it's really offensive seeing her ripping off everyone's photos as if it's her own work. And no way to communicate with this person. Where can it be reported?

Maybe we can all put a special link list on our blogs that says
"HOAX TATTING LINK" with that link as the only link on the list...LOL

Anonymous said...

hey, looks like your photo thief is selling tatting how tos using this company for their e-commerce: http://www.1shoppingcart.com/shopping-cart-contact.asp... maybe letting them know some fraud is being committed will get some eyes on the perp.

Danelle (Indie Game Lover) said...

Looks like the start of something reat!

Sarah Dungan said...

A good way to deal with something like this is to notify the company HOSTING the website that their customer is doing something illegal. Alert them that stolen imagery is being used to generate sales. Frequently the company takes action to remove the website lest they be held partially liable.