Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sepia

Again I oscillate from a day with stuff to show you to one where there just isn't much new to share. Of course when you really get down to it, if I had something brand new to share everyday we'd all burn out and anything fresh would lose any luster inherent in being new. What I did do new was change the colors on the Ambrosius pendant to the the Sepia shades like I said I would yesterday. Again, I really like it in the two colors. I thought about using the variegated thread for one, but since the center is just independent rings they would likely end up being a solid color thus defeating the point.

I also toyed with the idea of using this motif as the center piece on a new mask design, but quite frankly I've made so many masks lately and sold none of them even with the impending holiday that I hesitate to go there. I know there is still plenty of time for mask sales to pick up, but I really don't want to get any further ahead of myself than I already am. I was talking on twitter about how I though perhaps I had too many items listed and that I wondered if anyone would look through eight pages of listings. I was reassured that my shop sections made my store easy to look through and no one thought it was overwhelming. Sometimes when I'm looking for a listing on the back end, where there are no sections, I think there are way too many things. I guess those sections really are good for something or do you think I should pare down my offerings?

I'm down to just a few more pieces that need to be remade and then I might get on the remaining custom pieces listed. Though I do hope that I have no time because of some amazing influx of orders. Sure, it has picked up from the beginning of the month when I feared I was going to have to resort to selling a kidney to make ends meet, but sales are still not where I'd like them to be. Yes, I am aware that if I want business to pick up, I might want to advertise or some such nonsense. I haven't had much luck in that arena since print advertising is expensive I've only tried the one and I did get a couple of sales from it, but it was a highly targeted magazine. Alright, I'm just babbling now...I know it'll pick up for the holidays so I'll just go with it, stop bothering you with this and try to be patient.

2 comments:

Sewicked said...

Keep the sections. It's a huge help. One huge block of items is overwhelming. It's much easier if I can just look at 'earrings' or 'masks', etc. I haven't checked but do you have a 'sets' sectin?

AJ said...

I don't think you should pare down your selection. Having a larger amount of items in your shop shows that you're skilled, you're not just limited to variations of one or two things. And as a shopper, I don't want just one each of bracelet, necklace, and earring to choose from. Different styles appeal to different people.