Thursday, January 6, 2011

Distracted

I blame the Internet...well, more precisely, I blame people on the Internet. I was focused, on task and then I get a well meaning suggestion from one person and an idea is formed. Still, I could have put it in the virtual to-do pile and moved on, but then I got a message from the street team I joined with a 'January Challenge'. I could have ignored that too, but the theme of the challenge fit the idea born from the suggestion and since the challenge had a deadline, I dropped everything to start a new mask.



To be fair, the shoulder jewelry had already been giving me ideas of what else to use it's pattern for. Like many other tatters, every pattern I make and adapt beacons me to shape it into as many things as possible. This one started with the same basic bit and then I mixed it with a vine pattern I've used in a few masks, though the stitch counts were increased to fit the other bit.

Unlike most of my masks, there were quite a few false finishes to the center bit at the bottom. I had an idea of how I wanted it to work, but the curve of the eye piece made more of a difference than I initially thought and I had to redo that bit several times to get it to lay right. Then came the fun part...and yes, I am being sarcastic as me and seeds beads are not the best of friends, I added beaded strands ending with cat's eye drops in a smoky gray. I know it's hard to tell in the picture because I played with filters again, but the mask was made with light gray and the beads are a pearlescent white.

I just realized that I didn't mention the challenge theme, Melting the Ice Queen. So it will be an Ice Queen mask. Yes, I said 'will be'. I am so not done with this one yet. Once I had all the shiny bits hanging from the lace, I knew this one was going to need the embellishment treatment. I haven't yet settled on what I'm going to use, but it will likely have crystals, silver filament and maybe even more seed beads sewn onto it. Hopefully, I'll get all of that done up today so I can get it photographed and listed by the weekend and then I will get back to that arm piece...I hope.

4 comments:

Olorle said...

Very fun shape on this one.

Gina said...

I can visualize where you are going with this but before I read it, I was thinking how much this looked like a butterfly....which might be a future mask idea. (smile)

AJ said...

WOW! Gorgeous already, I'm sure it will be really stunning once you've finished the embellishments :)

Suztats said...

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing it blinged and embellished!