Monday, October 24, 2011

Yawn

To say,'what a weekend' would be a gross understatement. We headed up to Monterey on Friday and visited the Aquarium. We then headed to the hotel and soon after to the wedding venue my brother and sister-in-law chose, The Holly Farm in Carmel Valley. The kids played with their cousins, much chaos ensued and somehow a rehearsal was completed. Saturday afternoon it was right back to the venue for photos before the wedding and we had to keep the kids from destroying their flower girl finery while simultaneously keeping them entertained. Then there was of course the wedding, reception and a long drive back home. I'd like to say that on Sunday we rested, but that would be a lie as Sunday I caught up on laundry and we ran errands. I am extremely exhausted.

On Sunday evening we sat down to watch a movie so I finally pulled out some thread and tatted something up. The shop had been unusually quiet so I hadn't done so in many days. I started by tatting this single shuttle pattern as intended, immediately realizing that the amount of cut thread I'd have to work with to complete it would be ridiculous and converted it to a needle pattern with a small chain filling in for the bare thread space. I thought I was finished when I got this bit done. It would make a nice pendant, but I was so starved for tatting that I just kept right on going with the whole medallion.

Once I had the next two rows done, I wondered what on earth I was going to do with it. At this point it really is just a small doily when made with size ten thread. So I played with it for a while and decided to do what so many artisans do with doilies they find in thrift shops and re purpose it...only on purpose, in the first place. I'm adding a second center bit to the side and I'll tat some hooks into it and it will wrap around ones wrist into an off center cuff...hopefully. I still have some more work to complete the design and hopefully my vision with it is fully executable. So I'll start today like I like to start a day, with something to make.

3 comments:

Ann Martin said...

The girls look adorable and the medallion is gorgeous. Am sure it will be great as a cuff, but I bet it would sell well as a pendant medallion too. Hope you can grab a nap today!

Denise - Jewelry By Denise said...

Love it! Very cute indeed, can't wait to see the finished piece!

Tatfully Yours said...

This looks interesting!!

Kelly