Friday, June 14, 2013

I Tatted Something

I was pretty afraid I was going to be a liar again and not get around to any tatting. I was just so determined to finish this CD project that I should have completed, you know 5, 10 years ago. Good news, I did finish and thanks to a hardware assist from the husband, I still had time to get back to tatting.

I didn't have anything specific in mine to create, so I went with the, browse old tatting books until something catches my eye, method. This, I don't know what you'd call it, fish scale, sort of design looked interesting, so I started working it as written. Usually even when I know that I'm going to drastically change an older design, I work at least some of it up without my usual mucking with it.

I only got that far before I started in with the changes. As it got bigger I thought about all the possibly uses for the design, how I might change even the center beginning, but I still wanted to be able to use the piece I was making as something. After a couple more rows it was already huge, but I think it will make an awesome pendant necklace. Not a subtle one, of course, but I'm rarely subtle. I will definitely have to stiffen this one though. Those long outside chains are behaving pretty well right now, but I know they will revolt after being worn. I think I might even have to go with fa-brick on the backside which holds much better than Stiffen Stuff. It has a sheen since it coats the lace, so that's why I'd just use it on one side. I like the lace to retain it's natural look as much as possible.

I don't have any other tasks planned for today, except maybe some gardening, but I dislike gardening so I may stall on that a while longer. I should have plenty of time to get some more work done with this design, theoretically. Man, it really needs a name so I can stop spacing when I mention it...I guess I'll work on that too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Somehow it reminds me of a pinecone or maybe one of those old flower designs you see printed on fabric. Keep up the nice work I love your blog.

Vicky said...

As soon as I saw it, I thought of a lotus flower. Love it, no matter what you name it! :)