Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Teaching

Well, what an interesting day I had. You might think that as a homeschooling parent, summer would pose no additional challenge for me. This of course, is not true. After months of having a morning prepared for me, I am dangling over the edge with two increasingly bored children. So we've taken up yoga and tai chi in the mornings and they asked me to teach them to tat. That last thing I attempted yesterday.

The oldest child took to it just fine, after a few false starts, but the youngest ended up in a ball of frustration. So I tried a couple of different crafts with her until something made her happy. She landed on loom knitting. I think that the movements of tatting were just too complex for her to get right away and like me, if she isn't immediately good at something she's likely to give up on it forever. I figured shifting gears quickly lets her come back to it when she's ready.

So as you can imagine with all this teaching and some cleaning, it took me some time to get back to the tatted chain earrings. I did get four pairs photographed and listed and I managed to get one more pair in blues made. I still have some threads set aside for a brown version, so I'll make that up today. I also sold one pair! Yes, I'm excited about that. It means I have a purple pair to remake as well and even better, they were sold with a necklace, so I have that in queue to remake as well. Of course I'll have to fit that around the girls crafting and more cleaning, but it's great that they've got something else to do with their summer.

1 comment:

Denise - Jewelry By Denise said...

I love when kids take an interest in what we do. My 9 year old daughter has recently asked me to teach her to crochet. I'm still relatively new at it and right handed, she is left handed. After the husband's idea of teaching her right handed crochet (he's left handed as well and thinks most left handers can do things equally with their right hand), we're well on our way :) Now, the 4 year old has also expressed interest but I think he may be just a wee bit too young.